Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Random thoughts

It's been actually quite a long time since I've posted any of my thoughts and how ministry is going in my life. Yes I've been posting pictures and a few thoughts and phrases from other people I respect, in some ways it feels like to me like a Facebook posting. Not like that's really bad, but it's not like many of the postings  that I've done in the past. So here goes, I've been issued a challenge to start thinking of ways to enhance my ministry, and put a plan together. One of the challenges that I received was that it had to include visiting the nursing homes. This is something I haven't done in a long time, and even before that it was an area ministry that I didn't spend very much time in. So this is what I came up with so far: prison ministry about four times a year, nursing homes also about four times a year, hospital Ministry still yet to be determined, spending some time working in the food pantry. Baptisms have been a very special part of my ministry in the past year, and as I grow as a deacon I also feel that my ability to evangelize and prepare the families is growing. This week I had to handle a situation that on the surface  would have seemed very delicate, yet by the grace of God A new life begins to shine. The same would have to be said about doing funerals and committals. I seem to be growing, learning from the various experiences I've had. Just a week ago I met with the family, for what was thought to be only a committal. I don't want to belittle what a committal is, but it definitely doesn't take up a lot of time. The time spent with the family was an epiphany for me, and I was able to share some insights with the family. This past weekend I did the funeral for two wonderful people. I feel blessed that I was able to bring the presence of Christ to them in these difficult moments. My next challenge is coming this weekend, I will be preaching at three masses on Sunday. I'm extremely excited and yet nervous too. I'm also preaching for father Kyle, who is an exceptional homilist. I've been preparing this for about two weeks now and I'm starting to put together the notes for the homily. I will be preaching without notes, and my wife has issued a challenge for me. As of this time I don't want to reveal it, because I want to surprise her.

For those of you who are unaware, I have a full-time job working for the Sherwin-Williams paint company. Like all things in life we face challenges, yet even in the difficult times, in those times where It may seem dark, my faith guides me. I offer up my work daily to Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. Just this week I received a report outlining the performance of my store in marketing initiatives. I am part of the Eastern Division, and my store was ranked number one in my district, and number 24 in the entire division. There are well over 700 stores in the division. As you probably can tell I am quite ecstatic,and thank God for guiding me through those challenging moments.

There will be more to tell you shortly. I will let you all how the preaching went this weekend, and what that little challenge my wife has asked me to do. 

May God bless you all this week!

Peace Deacon Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment