Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Saturday, June 25, 2011

"Where have you come from and where are you going???

This week has been very interesting to say the least. My assistant manager is out recuperating after her surgery and will be out for a few weeks and so mental fatigue is setting in because of trying to get everything done in the store.  Prayer time in the morning has been my time to settle down and pace myself a bit for the week.  Thursday morning I began by reading the Scriptural passages for the day. I began with Genesis 16: 1-12, 15-16 and I didn't get very far before I put down the Bible and had to reflect on what I read. Our class in Old Testament brought out a new love and appreciation for our roots in faith. Surprisingly this was a passage that I had read before but didn't appreciate it as much as I did on Thursday. The Lord asked Hagar " Where have you come from and where are you going?"  I'm still reflecting on this as I write this posting, and it speaks to me and stirs my heart. Even though our group of men are now candidates I feel that we are aspiring to be more, to know, to love, and to want more. Any time I have struggled I have always gone back to the basics from where I came from, and even today I have to sit back and think of where am I going. Am I ready to face what will come before me, and am I ready to trust in the Spirit? I know I can't do this alone!

Friday was extremely special for me. As usual I began the day in prayer and this day being the feast of St. John the Baptist so much was about to hit me. Again, as usual I began with reading the Scriptural passages for the day and then I read the Word Among Us. The reflections from the WAU would open my heart and my mind again to something that I have overlooked. I read about Zechariah and how "He still needed more training in faith so that his light could shine brightly!"  Once again as I read this line I had to pause and reflect on how this also applied to my journey and for all of us aspiring to be Deacons. For all those times where people have asked why does it take so long, this line opened up everything inside of me and the journey and the training is needed so that we through Our Lord can also shine brightly!

I have been able to recite the Canticle of Zechariah for almost a year now by memory, and now after really understanding the immensity of this Canticle I was brought to tears as I could feel how Zechariah felt and that his first words after being silent for some time was a prayer to God and a prayer to his son St. John the Baptist. These words will no longer be words that I can recite, they will always remind me of a man who through his struggles finally realized the Love that only God can give us.

That morning I got a call from one of our customers to give him a quote on some materials that he will need. He then asked me if I am enjoying my free time off of the school board, and I told him that I am now studying to be a Deacon in the Church. He asked which Church and I told him the Catholic Church. He mentioned that he came back about three years ago and he didn't like a few things, a talk of collections and how much to give, and the Priest telling him how to vote. I couldn't really remember at any time this happening but this is what I said, first of all you are always welcome to come back, and then remember we are there celebrating Jesus who died for us and that is why I celebrate with our brothers and sisters. Unfortunately I was busy and alone in the store, so I left the rest in God's hands as I said goodbye.

That evening I drove over to the Church to say Evening Prayers in the Adoration Chapel and there were two gentlemen there praying and alerted me that the Chapel and the Church would be locked up in 15 minutes. I said it shouldn't be a problem and even though it went quickly I enjoyed so much being in the Presence of Our Lord. Together we said some prayers and then we sang the Tantum Ergo, one of the few Latin hymns I enjoy. It was very nice in a small group praying and when we left we had a discussion on our faith and the Church. The gentlemen visited a shrine in Quebec and loved it except for the Mass, which he questioned whether it was a Mass. He also mentioned that the Church has not been the same since Vatican II. One of the three present just said goodnight and I was left with the man who questioned these things. I shared with him that I honestly believe that the Mass was valid, and that I felt that Vatican II actually is bringing us closer to God and the Early Church. I had to respectfully again disagree with him and leave it that I believed this was God's will.

Yeah I know, did this all happen in just two days? You bet!

This week I'm trying to leave it all into His Satisfaction!

Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mitch,

    Keep up the great Blog work over the summer!

    I am struck daily by the Canticle of Zechariah with this line:

    You, my child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High;
    for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way,
    to give his people knowledge of salvation
    by the forgiveness of their sins.


    Daily, this reminds me of what we as Candidates have been called to do for our Lord. It humbles me daily and reminds me that it's not about me, but about bringing our Lord and his love to all those around us - and not just Catholics!

    Hopefully we'll all hook up before fall, but if not I can't wait to start the heavy lifting in September!

    Tom Lavallee

    ReplyDelete