Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Take away from the weekend retreat.

Terry and I had a very restful and enjoyable retreat this past weekend. This was actually the first time since ordination that I attended a full weekend retreat. I was so looking forward to being with my brothers and sisters in Christ, and the Lord did not disappoint.

The retreat this past weekend centered on the Eucharist! I was taught during formation that there are no coincidences in life. The Eucharist is and must continue to be the center of all of our lives. And is with any gifts that we receive, that gift must be shared with everyone. 

There were so many things that I could share with  all of you about this past weekend, but there is one single phrase that continues to resonate in my heart. It actually was something that father Kyle and I discussed just a few weeks ago. Father Kyle shared with me that we must be very careful around the Blessed Sacrament. He shared that we have to be so careful that we do not fall into the trap, the trap of familiarity. He shared that it is too easy to fall into that trap. This is especially so for priests and deacons. We are around the Blessed Sacrament quite often, and we can become way too casual.

This was the catchphrase that caught my attention…… "Familiarity breeds contempt!"

That phrase hit hard! It is something that I need to work on. It's not that I'm bad at it, but I don't want to fall into the trap. And for all those who receive the Blessed Sacrament, it is very challenging for them also. Years after years after years of lining up to receive the blessed sacrament, it can happen. Believe me it does.

We need to constantly remind ourselves what we have before us, the true body blood and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ! The greatest gift we could ever receive in our lives. 

My prayer for all of us is that we do not become too familiar, too casual, when we are in the presence of Christ!

Peace

Deacon Mitch








No comments:

Post a Comment