Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Reflections on an emotional day!

Today marks an infamous anniversary and also a bittersweet day. You see, this day being a day to remember is one I can never forget. A year before 9-11 with family and friends I celebrated an early birthday in the Big Apple. It was my first and only visit to New York. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and same day I will return. 9-11 is a day I share with the nation very closely as it also my birthday. I remember all too well when asked my date of birth and cringing when sharing that number. I don't get those same reactions anymore but I still get choked up about the day.

Today was my day to bring the Blessed Sacrament to the hospital. I proudly entered with my new Red Sox jersey my son bought for me. I think it helped ease some of the pain of the patients in the hospital. The visits I had will stand out with me. I have been going for several months now and the unexpected happens and it is usually very memorable. I reviewed all the readings for this day and forgiveness was at the top of the list. I know the knowledge of the readings was very helpful in my discussions with the patients.

Mass today was very special, for many reasons and yet what was the most memorable part was at the end of the Mass. Our parishioners seem to be in a rush to leave and today Fr. Mark asked all to remain in the Church until we all finished singing God Bless America. I was impressed that no one left early, in fact over 95 % stayed for the second verse.

After Mass I went to dinner with my Mom,Dad, and my brother and it was very nice to be together. My brother loves to tease me and told the waitress that I needed to eat cottage cheese because I was an old man. You got to love your brothers.

Tonight is bowling and this will cap off a wonderful and emotional day.

Bonjour et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment