Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Monday, August 13, 2012

No Mas!

Any one who has followed sports for several years now, has to remember the famous "No Mas" fight of Roberto Duran vs. Sugar Ray Leonard. Amazingly, a fighter known for his toughness signals to the ref that he's done he gives up.  Needless to say he is then roundly mocked by just about everyone for giving up in a tough fight.

Yesterday we read about Elijah who basically is saying the same thing to the Lord, No Mas, I give up! Even though he had seen many glorious works of our Lord, he wanted to give up when the fight was getting really tough.

I reflected in my prayer time and these episodes presented themselves to me, and I wondered how many times I was saying No Mas, and ready to give up the fight.

Last night before going to bed I read the reading from evening prayer which goes like this...
READING 1 Peter 1:3-5
Praised be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
he who in his great mercy
gave us new birth;
a birth unto hope which draws its life
from the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead;
a birth to an imperishable inheritance,
incapable of fading or defilement,
which is kept in heaven for you
who are guarded with God’s power through faith;
a birth to a salvation which stands ready
to be revealed in the last days.

There is cause for rejoicing here. You may for a time have to suffer the distress of many trials; but this is so that your faith, which is more precious than the passing splendor of fire-tried gold, may by its genuineness lead to praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ appears.

 This passage was extremely moving for me and really put life in perspective. I didn't say it would be easy to accept, but it really was a great message of hope. 

We are all being reserved an imperishable inheritance guarded by God that will be revealed to us some day. We are meant for rejoicing, yet we will face trials, many trials. And as gold needs to be fire-tried to be pure, so must we. 

I urge you all to read this passage carefully and pray that you get an epiphany from it!

Bonsoir et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch 

No comments:

Post a Comment