Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

When I found your words!




"When I found your words, I devoured them;
they became my joy and the happiness of my heart," Jeremiah 15:16



We have new hours at work, a new employee, and the best benefit of them all is that I get a few more chances to attend Mass in the morning before going to work. I arrived for morning prayers at the usual time, and this also allows me plenty of time to go over the readings for the Mass.  I have grown to understand the wisdom of the Old Testament, and I have also grown to love so much about it.  Today's reading was a prime example of how special it is, and that there is so much to be gathered by spending time with it. The first line really hits the spot. This line really sparks some fire inside of me and describes how much I have grown from my spiritual reading. It has truly become the joy and the happiness of my heart. Fr. Kyle preached heavily on this line today, and I complimented him on it. I also kidded him how he got the better end of the deal, whereas he didn't have to preach about loincloths. I also pointed out to him how this next line also captured my attention to dig further...................................



"You have indeed become for me a treacherous brook,
whose waters do not abide!" Jeremiah 15:18

Needless to say many thoughts came rushing through my head.  I thought about hiking trips and the tough streams I had to cross. You know the ones, rushing waters, slippery rocks that are covered with moss, on a wet dreary day.  I also thought of how in the spring time these tiny brooks, that upon a heavy rainfall look just like a raging river that would be impossible to cross. The definition in the commentary stated that it was a brook or stream of water that was essential for life, and that at times we couldn't rely upon it to sustain us. Jeremiah had a tough time in his ministry and even though he was very eloquent, he wasn't exactly singing the Lord's praises in this one. He was obviously frustrated, like we can all get some times. Tonight, I went a little further and looked at another translation from the NAB, "To me you are like a deceptive brook, waters that cannot be relied on!" What I love about this is the duality of emotions in these passages. First, he falls in love with the Words of the Lord, a later on he lets all his emotions go in telling the Lord how he thinks it is! 

This is our lives in a nutshell, whereas we want to get closer in our relationship with God, and this closeness causes us to let loose at times.  These two lines sum up how my relationship is going. Loving what I'm reading, and at times wondering why I'm facing some of the issues that are going on in my life.  I guess I'll have to keep on reading to gain a little more wisdom!

Bonsoir et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch 

No comments:

Post a Comment