Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's so good to hear your voice!

For a few months now I've been trying to reconnect with my days at St. Meinrad Seminary in Indiana. I think since our Bishop Peter is an alumni of this school my interest to reflect back on my days there has resurfaced. I spent a year and four months on the Holy Hill and I feel the Spirit has guided me to reach out with my past. There were two individuals who made a strong impact on my life. One of them was a New Hampshire native studying for a Diocese in Florida, and also another gentlemen from Rhode Island who was  studying for the Diocese of Manchester with me. 

Over thirty years have passed and I began the process of updating my files in the alumni section and then looking up the profiles of these two. I found John (from RI) and read about his journey, and then searched for Mike. 

John's email was out there so I sent him a little note. I remembered the late night sessions studying for History exams, but most of all that he was such an exceptional friend. When I left the seminary I was dealing with a very trying issue and really put everything behind me and didn't look back. Today, that was probably the greatest regret of my life, but I really wasn't ready to stay in touch.

John responded to my email a couple of weeks ago and his words really lifted my spirits. Unfortunately he shared some very difficult news as Mike had passed away two years ago. John gave me his cell phone number and a couple of weeks passed by. 

On Friday I reached out and called him and he soon said ........."it's so good to hear your voice!" We talked for about a half hour and the wonderful memories of those years gone by came welling up inside of me. He is now an Episcopal Priest in RI and he is still the same wonderful man. There were no questions about why we lost touch, only enjoying the words of someone you missed. 

He asked about my journey and wants to be there in two years, God willing of course, when I hope to be a Permanent Deacon for the Diocese of Manchester.  Terry wants to plan a camping trip this summer and visit John and another friend we have in Rhode Island. 

Friday was a wonderful day, and it was great for me also to hear his voice!

Bonjour et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment