Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Friday, March 22, 2013

I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

 

 

Tomorrow is the day when I begin training at the Federal Correctional Institute here in Berlin. It has almost been a year since I have felt a calling to serve the Lord by visiting those in prison. I have gotten all kinds of reactions from this, some with enthusiastic support, some give me a discouraging look, and then I get "Do you really want to do this?"  My answer hasn't really wavered............"not really, but I feel called to do this!"

The paperwork is ready, quite a bit actually. I was told to come with an id card, the paperwork, a letter of recommendation and that's it. Oh yeah, and be prepared for four hours of training. It really isn't very much for something like this. 

I read a small book, notice I said small, and rather enjoyed the insights I gleaned from this book. In my line of work I've received a tremendous amount of training over the years. Hard to believe that in a paint store you would need a bunch of training, yet that is one aspect of my career that I truly respect. 

So for me, four hours of training just isn't really enough. The challenge and the difficulty is that I'm still in formation and that I'm juggling my classes with my work load, and the other ministries I do for the Lord. I realize that something will have to give. I think that the hospital ministry will have to go on the back burner until the future, or quite possibly I will no longer be able to go on a regular basis. This will be something difficult to give up, but necessary.

Am I nervous, you bet! Scared, a little! Anxious, definitely! 

The call to this ministry hasn't diminished at all. 

Bonsoir et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment