Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Questions, and a real reason to give thanks!

I've had a little time to rest and reflect this week. I was able to go bowling again with my buddies and then one of them dared to ask the questions! What will you be doing as a Deacon and when? I started with the easy one, that I still had a little over 2 and half years to go. Then I told him what a Deacon can and can't do. I guess he thought as I have heard before of being looked at as a mini priest, and I told him that definitely wasn't the case. He seemed pretty satisfied with the answers, but I'm sure there were questions still lingering inside of him. Usually the main question is Why?  I expect this will come out eventually.

Wednesday morning when I left the Adoration chapel from morning prayers another friend of mine asked "what are you doing in there?" Well, that's a great question when you are leaving there at 6:30 am. I told her I do morning prayers in the chapel every weekday morning when I am able to. Again, she seemed satisfied with the answer, but not totally!

On Thanksgiving I served breakfast to my daughter, her friend, and my son. My daughter would be leaving soon to head back south and it was great to spend some time with her. Unfortunately Terry needed to work most of the time she was home. I relaxed that afternoon as Terry would be meeting me for Thanksgiving at my brother's house for supper. Again, just being with others was awesome. Terry then shared something that really tore me up inside. She works at a group home for troubled youths and it is a very stressful job. She received a phone call from a youth who could finally go home. That person thanked her for everything she did to help her get her life in order, so she could finally go home. In Terry's words...."You just gave me the best Thanksgiving and Christmas present I could have ever received! I'm proud of you and I don't want to see you again here! I hope to see you again, but not in this place!"

Here comes the really tough part, where she explained that not all the youths had visitors at Thanksgiving. I was really torn up over this. I won't judge or critique why, but I will pray for them and their families and be forever thankful for the gifts that I have received.

Wishing you all the Peace of Christ!

Bonjour et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment