Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Thursday, July 9, 2015

The power of prayer

This morning I was reminded that I don't have to be a doer all the time. My ego, and the fact that I'm a man, greatly influences the way I act. Yesterday, I don't know where I found it, but I listened to a video that a priest discussed the topic of prayer. He highlighted that quite often, men in particular feel they have to do something. He further discussed that there was a greater need to simply pray! As a deacon I took the vow to do morning and evening prayers every day. Honestly at times I just move through them too quickly. Once again, The man inside of me trying to get things done as quickly as possible. This morning I took a different route, relaxed a bit, and morning prayers were only at about 10 o'clock this morning. As I prepared myself for morning prayers I was thinking how much more I could do by simply praying for vocations. God in his wisdom enlightened me! I am providing you with a copy of the first psalm of today's morning prayer....it truly opened my eyes.

Ant. 1 Stir up your mighty power, Lord; come to our aid.

Psalm 80
Lord, come, take care of your vineyard


Come, Lord Jesus (Revelation 22:20).

O shepherd of Israel, hear us, *
you who lead Joseph’s flock,
shine forth from your cherubim throne *
upon Ephraim, Benjamin, Manasseh.
O Lord, rouse up your might, *
O Lord, come to our help.

God of hosts, bring us back; *
let your face shine on us and we shall be saved.

Lord God of hosts, how long *
will you frown on your people’s plea?
You have fed them with tears for their bread, *
an abundance of tears for their drink.
You have made us the taunt of our neighbors, *
our enemies laugh us to scorn.

God of hosts, bring us back; *
let your face shine on us and we shall be saved.

You brought a vine out of Egypt; *
to plant it you drove out the nations.
Before it you cleared the ground; *
it took root and spread through the land.

The mountains were covered with its shadow, *
the cedars of God with its boughs.
It stretched out its branches to the sea, *
to the Great River it stretched out its shoots.

Then why have you broken down its walls? *
It is plucked by all who pass by.
It is ravaged by the boar of the forest, *
devoured by the beasts of the field.

God of hosts, turn again, we implore, *
look down from heaven and see.
Visit this vine and protect it, *
the vine your right hand has planted.
Men have burnt it with fire and destroyed it. *
May they perish at the frown of your face.

May your hand be on the man you have chosen, *
the man you have given your strength.
And we shall never forsake you again: *
give us life that we may call upon your name.

God of hosts, bring us back; *
let your face shine on us and we shall be saved.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, *
and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now, *
and will be for ever. Amen.

Psalm Prayer

Lord God, eternal shepherd, you so tend the vineyard you planted that now it extends its branches even to the farthest coast. Look down on your Church and come to us. Help us remain in your Son as branches on the vine, that, planted firmly in your love, we may testify before the whole world to your great power working everywhere.

This should be our prayer every day. It seems like almost every day I hear many people wondering when more people will accept the call to the priesthood, to the religious life, to the order of deacon. Let a stall stop being just doers let us all pray!


Dona Nobis Pacem

Deacon Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment