Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Monday, March 14, 2011

A look back at this past weekend!

I had a full weekend to deal with. On Saturday morning I helped my brother knights with the Northern championship for freethrow shooting. I have to say it was so much fun coming back to some of my roots. I coached basketball for several years and being back on the court was just awesome. .

That afternoon I spent quiet time reading my assignments and getting ready for next Thursday's class. I really love this class and I can feel myself growing and getting hungry for even more knowledge.  I will be writing my pre- class paper tonight and just relax for the rest of the evening.

The knights planned a group Mass at 4 pm and I volunteered for anything they needed and I was assigned to be an altar server. It's been a least 14 years since the last time I did this with my son. I felt that I did alright, and I really enjoyed the experience.

Saturday night we had friends from Manchester, and my best friend over. We started playing a game of Michigan Rummy and we ended up just talking for the evening. Yeah, I live a wild life! I enjoy just spending time with people, and judging by the clock striking 1 am, I guess every one else felt the same way.

On Sunday I was lector for the 9 am Mass, and to be honest with you I just love to read at Mass. After Mass I decided to go to the hospital to bring the Eucharist to the sick and just be there for them. This event started rather strangely as the receptionist said " I have your list ready, I've been expecting you!" This has never happened to me before. It was a fairly long list and I made sure to allow plenty of time with all of them. The experience was so up and down for me. I Love being there, and for the first time in my Ministry I had to deal with a friend who is dying. I really don't remember what I said to the family, but I was awestruck by this man's Love and Faith in Our Lord. With very little energy inside of him, he had  the strength to make the sign of the cross and pray with all of us. There are no words that I can find to describe the feelings that came over me. I met or prayed with everyone else and I was so glad to be there, yet my friends health really affected me.

I had lunch with my family and throughout the meal and the time together I felt the weight of the experience at the hospital hanging over me. The rest of the day was a struggle, even at bowling  night I just wasn't myself. I couldn't escape from what had happened and I guess I will have to accept that the Lord will help me through this and that despite my lack of experience I was an instrument of His Love.

Today, I am dealing with this a little better and you can bet this will be an interesting discussion at my next spiritual direction session.

Well, I hope you all had a great weekend and I pray for all the sick, their families, and all my brothers and sisters.

Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment