Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Monday, October 8, 2012

We are useless servants!

Last night I'm preparing to close out a wonderful day and I'm doing Evening Prayers. This was one of those nights where my attention was at it's best.  I'm really enjoying the prayers and then we have the following antiphon for the Canticle of Mary...


"Tell yourselves: We are useless servants, for we did only what we should have done."

Wow!

Wasn't that a harsh statement to hear when your almost at the end of your prayers. Coincidence, I think not. I can't even remember how many times that I have read something for a few years before, bang! Well I guess the timing was as good as any, as He really got me thinking.

In an age where we are suppose to pump everyone up, and say you can be anything you want to be, this is tough to accept. After all, He can't mean me! I instantly thought about the Gospel of John where John the Baptist said "He must increase and I must decrease!" For the most part in my life I have been the useless servant. I've gotten better since I started this journey, and  of course all through the grace of God, but do I really extend myself? 

So you went to Mass yesterday Mitch, you visited at the hospital, you spent time with your Mom and Dad, you did something nice for your wife, you did some spiritual reading, so what do you want Lord? Obviously He wants more, because as the phrase states .......I've only done what I should have done anyways. Yes, this can be brought to an extreme, but I think the Lord is asking us not to get too puffed up about doing the right thing. After all, who gave us the gifts and the grace to do those things anyways?

I also really believe that the Lord is calling all of us to listen to His voice, and to stretch out of our comfort zone and answer those difficult calls. Our priests are overworked and they need our help. So in the next few days find some quiet time and as useless as we are, we may be able to break out a bit more.

Bonsoir et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch  


No comments:

Post a Comment