Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Just a year ago!

Last night I was privileged to serve as the sponsor for my nephew's Confirmation. About two weeks ago he asked me and I was obviously thrilled an honored by his selection. Zachary is a very kind young man with a very big and loving heart. He has faced many challenges and continues to do so with his own style.

The liturgy was so beautiful and it was encouraging to see 27 area youths being Confirmed. Bishop John was there along with Berlin native Fr. Jason Jalbert, and Bishop John spoke about his visits to Berlin and seeing Berlin through the eyes of of Fr. Jason. A few people remarked to me how well he spoke of Berlin and pronounces it like a native. I had a few minutes to speak with him and reminded him that a year ago at this time I asked him to accept me as an Aspirant and now I am asking to be a Candidate. I didn't get a yes but there wasn't a no either. Terry got a chance to talk with him and shared her own experiences of formation.

Finally the evening was capped off by meeting a friend that I haven't seen in many years. Agnes and I grew up together on Berlin's east side attending school together since kindergarten. I walked up to her and she said " Hi Mitch " and I said " Hi Agnes ". Amazingly we both felt unsure whether we would recognize each other. We talked about our families and what was going on in our lives. I got to share with her that I was studying to be a Permanent Deacon in the Church and she had a very big smile and said, " Wow, good for you that's great!"  She said she wasn't surprised by the news and commented that I was always a very determined and passionate person that always put all my efforts into anything that I did. When she said that I remembered how Bishop John talked about seeing through some one's eyes and I was very moved by the experience.

Last night was very special for many reasons. Sort of like what has been happening in my life in the past couple of years, where I never know how the Lord will be revealing Himself to me. The formal classes are done for now, but the moments to learn something never seem to end. Oh yeah, Bishop John also said that were only 3 weeks away from the Rite of Candidacy.

Adieu mes Amis,


Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment