Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Don't worry about the words.....!

This is my weekend for ministry at the hospital. My last trip went very quickly as they were unable to retrieve a list for me and I could only see two patients. This week was a completely different story. I picked up the list and there were quite a few of people on the lists provided. I had three lists, one from Good Shepherd Parish in Berlin, Holy Family in Gorham, and Catholics with no parishes. There was a total of ten people on the lists.

My first patient to see was someone whom I've seen before. He's been in there for a while and the last time I saw him I was truly impressed by his positive attitude despite his health condition. I met another man who struggled with his health but had no complaints, we talked for about 20 minutes. I met another man who caught me off guard, he was on the list but he called the Church "a racket". This one challenged me and all I could think of was "don't worry about the words to say...!" I relaxed and didn't try to challenge him, he wasn't too happy but was very respectful of me. He even thanked me for being respectful of his wishes. I told him I would pray for him and he said " it can't do any harm!"  I did my best and said goodbye to him. The other people were very respectful and then I met someone who was another challenge.

The woman was leaving the hospital and I asked if she wanted to receive Communion and she declined. She was definitely preoccupied with her health, and definitely frustrated. I wished her well and told her that I would be praying for her. This visit was very tough for me, as I had waited several minutes to see her to make sure I saw everyone. I knew her husband quite well but with what was weighing on her mind I really could understand a little what she was going through.

The trip was very different from any that I have had at the hospital. This was definitely the longest visit of them all. For the most part,I just talked with all of them with no expectations. I'm not really sure what kind of impact I had and I guess I just have to leave it in the hands of the Lord. I've been told that at times the greatest impact we can have is when we expect the least. I'm not really on any high from the trip, and that's probably how it has to be at times.

Bonjour et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment