Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A new connection.........a coincidence????

On Wednesday morning I left a snowy and frigid Berlin to fly to Orlando to attend my company's yearly National Sales Meeting. It was a great week to learn about new products, a new launching that will occur in June, a chance to renew old friendships, and begin new friendships. Thursday evening our district gathered at the ESPN Zone and I thought the highlight was getting to know the personal sides of my coworkers (friends), especially three of them. We wrapped up a very quick three days and Saturday's return trip home was upon me.

I have been traveling on these trips for over 23 years, and this one produced a new connection and some would call only a coincidence. I left the hotel at 6:30 am to try to avoid the mad rush to get checked in. You see, there were about 7,000 of us attending these meetings. I had hoped by getting there early I could do my prayers and reflect in some silence. Yes, even at an airport it is possible to find peace. So I caught up with my prayers and then sat back to read WAU (Word Among Us).The reflection for Saturday begins with this..."How much more will the blood of Christ.....cleanse our consciences from dead works to worship the living God (Hebrews 9:14) and then quickly reminds us that today is the 38th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, and that there would be many people descending upon Washington DC to affirm and support the dignity of life.

Again, I have been taking these trips for over 23 years and I have rarely traveled through Washington DC, and normally our trip is  a week later. I sat in silence and pondered the significance of me leaving Orlando and being in Washington on this anniversary. Our plane left Orlando as scheduled and arrived a little early in Washington. Our group gathered together to eat lunch and I could see large groups of people traveling together. They were heading home; I saw a Brother with a large group of teenagers all decked out with bright yellow hats and scarves. I also saw another group with two nuns gathered together.

One common element stood out for me. They were all happy, and all seemed to have an incredible smile. I couldn't really take my eyes off of them. I was sitting with 7 other friends for lunch and my attention was drawn to these people. They were all there to reaffirm the value and sanctity of human life. I was truly mesmerized by this experience. Soon they left and our lunch was over and I had some quiet time to reflect, pray, and read. My newest district friends were directly across from my gate and I left what I was doing to talk, and be with them. I felt pulled by someone to drop what I was doing and be with others. The experience again left me with a great feeling. I said my goodbyes and wished them well until we meet again (Adieu).

My flight home was not as spectacular but I carried on a conversation with a young college student that I really enjoyed. I also gave kind words to a woman who was traveling with her two daughters. She was a little frustrated by their talking and seemed to be very concerned if we were annoyed by them. I know that I wasn't bothered and it really didn't seem like anyone else was. When we landed in Portland I got up and invited her to go before me, and told her that her children were very good considering their ages. She didn't agree but I said...."They are really alive! She seemed to like that.

I'm so sorry that this was so long, but this day offered me so much that I had to share. I dealt with a new connection traveling through Washington DC on the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. I read the WAU reflection that alerted me. I saw so much, and felt so much Love there and throughout the entire day. Coincidence to some maybe, to me no!  All this was meant for me, and I pray that I didn't miss any opportunities that Our Lord put before me.

I am forever changed and grateful for such a memorable day!

God Bless you all, and Adieu mes Amis!

Mitch



No comments:

Post a Comment