Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Friday, January 28, 2011

Who me Lord?

Last week before I left for my National Sales Meeting my world got turned upside down. A friend of mine that I've know for over 25 years passed away. Bob was my first original painting customer who I grew very close to. Bob was a terrific gentlemen in every sense of the word. The night before I was leaving for my trip his wife calls me and asks me to read the prayer of the faithful at the funeral and then she asked if I could go over to meet with her. I asked if I could see her when I got back on Sunday and she said that would be too late. I said sure, I'll see you in an hour. I showered, ate supper, got ready for bowling and went to visit her. I expected this would take about 15 to 20 minutes, and then it happened.

Jesus obviously had other plans for me that night. I spent time listening, sharing, and just being there for her. She asked me to give each child a gift that she was planning on giving to her husband on Valentine's day. The gifts were very beautiful. The Lord's plan was unfolding before me, be patient, listen, talk, and most of all let's pray together. I held her hand and asked our Lord the Great Physician to heal both body and soul, and to give her the courage and strength to deal with this.  Before I knew it, an hour and a half had passed and I left.

As I got into my car, I had to sit and reflect. What happened here? Why me? Is this a small snippet of what is to come? I felt comfortable and you know what? It is true what our Lord said, about the Holy Spirit giving you the words to say. It happened to me that night, and also at the reception after the funeral. I was moved and honored to be a member of Bob's family for a day, and the opportunity to present the gifts to his children.

I remember a time when Terry and I were taking our Marriage classes and our priest told us something very special. He said, you know we speak of the two becoming one,it actually  occurs prior to the marriage. I honestly think that my journey towards being a Deacon is similar. I still have a long road to go, and yet it can't be something that bang now your ready and official. I am realizing that there will be opportunities before me that the Lord is preparing me for and I must be ready and willing to serve.


Bosoir mes Amis,

Adieu,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment