Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Word, A Greeting, and still on a High!

It's early this morning and I'm catching up on my readings for my class. Of all the works that we have studied so far, St. Thomas Aquinas has been my favorite. I just love his thought process and the simplicity behind it. This morning I read from Hans Urs von Balthasar and one word hit me like running into a brick wall. Patience! Trying to deal with God's time by taking the "long view". This isn't a concept that I do very well with. To be patient I need to give up control. Again, something I'm not very good at. I really loved this quote I read....

"Hence the importance of patience in the New Testament, which becomes the basic 
constituent of Christianity, more central than humility: the power to wait, 
to persevere, to hold out, to endure to the end, and not to transcend one's own
limitations, not to force issues by playing hero or the titan, but to practice the virtue that lies beyond heroism,  
the meekness of the lamb which is led."

I read this just before leaving for Mass this morning and it was definitely something I had to put down and reflect upon. Of all that I could have read during Lent, these words high lighted the struggles that I find myself in. Mix in with the word Obedience in today's Gospel and you can pretty much find that I like all of us still have lot's of work to do.

I was scheduled as a Eucharistic Minister today and we are asked to sign in. I walked into the Sacristy and was alone at first. I checked off my name and then Fr. Kyle popped in and greeted me and then said..."So I hear that you Love Aquinas!"  That's all it took for me and we shared a few thoughts. Inside of me I was wondering....."How in the world does he know this??????" I soon found out that Mike shared that information with him. With so little time I know I want to talk more with Fr. Kyle about this.

As far as yesterday's event, I can tell you without a doubt that I'm still on a high. I feel a call to share this with as many as possible and work to invite more men and their children to this event next year.

I know that I probably misled you all with the title. It isn't really just one word today. 

Patience, meekness, obedience!

I will end with a quote from my pastor.....

"I'm a practicing Catholic, and I have a lot of practicing to do!"
 Fr. Mark Dollard!

Bonjour et Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch
  


No comments:

Post a Comment