Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Sunday, June 12, 2011

"....And the flames grew dimmer!"

Today as we celebrate Pentecost I wanted to prepare myself for Mass and discovered that the Holy Spirit will come to you in different ways. Today I took my Mom and Dad to Mass at Holy Family Church in Gorham. My folks love to go at 11 am Mass to break up the day. I prepared for Mass by using the Lector's workbook to review the readings and look over the commentaries. The commentaries have really opened up my eyes to new insights into the Word of God. For those of you who have not done this in the past, you're missing out on something special, and for those who are you know what I mean.

Fr. Mark my Pastor was the Celebrant and he never disappoints in his homilies. Today in my opinion he recalled a story that hit a home run with me. The story goes like this......
"There was a man who was very, very active in his parish and was extremely well respected by everyone. One day he stopped going to Church, something was said and something wasn't done that he thought should have been done. Soon the Pastor of the Church noticed he hadn't been attending and asked someone why? They said, something was said and something wasn't done as he thought it should have been. The Pastor decided that he would go to see him. It was a cold and crisp fall afternoon and he knocked at his door, and the man invited the Pastor in. They both sat in the living room by the fireplace that was burning brightly. They didn't exchange any words at all at first and then the Pastor stood up and walked to the fireplace and pulled one log away and placed away from the fire. He then returned to his seat, again without exchanging any words. The fire was noticeably not burning as bright without the additional log. The man finally said "OK, I understand I'll be back to Church in the morning!"
This is a typical method for Father to reach his parishioners, and today I know he got me. You all now how much Terry and I love fires and the symbolism was exceptional. When we are all one, and truly one in the Lord our hearts and our spirit burn brightly and shines for all to see. We are many parts and each one of us is necessary to let Our Lord burn brightly in this world. When we lose one, we lose so much!

Finally one more exercise for all of you. This again I took from today's homily. Breathe in, breathe in deeply the Spirit and then breathe out. Let's get out there and let the Spirit that burns in our heart shine out there!

Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment