Featured Post

Scenes from my first Christmas

Yes, this is my First Christmas.....as a Deacon of course. Fr. Andrew reminded me and the entire congregation of that, along with the story ...

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First Night!

Friday night was a first for a few reasons for me. First of all it would be our first night of our weekend retreat and there definitely was excitement in the air when each and everyone arrived. This first Night would be special and also cause some anxiety to me. I was scheduled to lead our group in evening prayer. I have been doing morning and evening prayer for some time now, but evening prayer wasn't something that I have done regularly. Actually the only time I have been doing evening prayer has been when we gather in community.

So during the week I was going through my book to get directions on what was going to happen that evening. I looked through the guide and put ribbons on the pages necessary, and I was hoping for the best with some anxiety.

Prior to the start of the prayer I talked to Deacon Greg and he told me that Jay would be helping everyone with the selections of hymns, he actually said " I think it's time we hear something else besides Holy God We Praise Thy Name!"  I said " great, because that's exactly what you would have heard if I had to choose the Hymn!"

Terry wasn't there to help me that night, so Mike volunteered to help me out. Thank you Mike! Deacon Greg has strategically placed himself in front and like a great coach, he was there to help out and guide us to make the experience as painless as possible. Painless it was, as the experience turned out to be great. So for those of you who have not lead a prayer yet and are nervous at all I have one word "Relax". We have a great coach to offer pointers and guide us through this, and the experience was great!

The first night went well and afterwards, looking back the anxiety was needless. Will I ever worry about something again? You bet! I'm just that way and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

The first session for our retreat was lead by Dean & Sue from Maine who were just another wonderful group of people who are helping us on our journey. They offered some great points that Terry and I need to discuss, number one would be retirement. What will I be doing when I retire. We haven't discussed this yet, but it will soon be a hot topic.

The first night and our last weekend before our formal and public commitment to be Candidates for the Permanent Diaconate.

Adieu mes Amis,

Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment